Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Method for Finding pH in One-Step

When I reached the acid-base calculation section of my freshman chemistry course, I struggled with it significantly.

After what seemed like hours of research, I found a series of AB tutorials on You Tube by the channel, “WoodsonChem.”

Once I figured out the basics of working the problems through these tutorials, I noticed a repeated pattern, an observation that saved me a lot of time while taking the section exam, and got me a good grade; I eventually "boiled down" the whole set of equations into one step...

The one-step method for finding pH:

Given a ka value, and a molarity for a weak acid, the following applies:
  •          -log (sqrt[(ka)(M)])=pH
  •          And for good measure, 14-pH=pOH

I hope that this will be useful.


Resources:
Woodson Chem. Retrieved from, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQYmE0ZISq0

No comments:

Post a Comment